[rabbitmq-discuss] centos linux install failed to create rabbitmq-env.conf or rabbitmq.config

ken macpherson kmacpher67 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 15:26:56 BST 2013

On Linux  2.6.18-8.el5, the sys-admin installed erlang and rabbitmq per the
documentation page. But rabbitmq didn't startup using defaults as expected.

For some reason the rabbit conf files are not present, I did a find ./ as
root on the entire file system and there were none there. The doc says it's
supposed to be in /etc/rabbitmq

When I try to start the server it says:

# rabbitmqctl start_app
> Starting node rabbit at qaapp ...
> Error: unable to connect to node rabbit at qaapp: nodedown
> DIAGNOSTICS
> ===========
> nodes in question: [rabbit at qaapp]
> hosts, their running nodes and ports:
> - qaapp: [{rabbitmqctl24655,36364}]
> current node details:
> - node name: rabbitmqctl24655 at qaapp
> - home dir: /var/lib/rabbitmq
> - cookie hash: Cg7xoSt9GmCeEfdTXkoprw==

Any clues why the default conf files are not in:

# ls -ltr /etc/rabbitmq/
> total 0

Is there place to download the default conf values?
Was there env vars that needed to be set before installing the rabbitmq?

Going to hack new rabbitmq-env.conf & rabbitmq.config files, any feedback
on this please advise experience or gotchas.

Are these files found in the RPM or dynamically generated during the
install process?