[rabbitmq-discuss] Does SSD improve rabbitmq's performance

Graeme N graeme at sudo.ca
Wed Nov 20 04:38:03 GMT 2013

We've found that for our workloads (hundreds of persistent queues spread
across multiple systems in the cluster) that SSDs are able to handle a much
higher sustained workload than SAS disks. Rabbit at the moment doesn't make
much effort into making its workload append only and contiguous by default,
and so the high random IO performance of SSDs seems to be a big helper when
publishing many messages.

That being said, RabbitMQ is able to handle a pretty decent workload even
on a single node with SATA disks, so I'd highly recommend doing some
workload benchmarking with your systems to ascertain peak sustained
throughput before shelling out for a bunch of expensive new disks.

Graeme