[rabbitmq-discuss] Downloaded binary distribution (generic unix), can't start it...

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Nov 11 15:59:18 GMT 2013

On 11/11/2013 2:33PM, Armen Michaeli wrote:
> Currently, upon launching rabbitmq-server, it gives me access denied,
> attempting to write files in most definitely wrong path like:
> mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/usr/local/sbin/../var’: Permission denied
> /usr/local/sbin/rabbitmq-server: line 80:
> /usr/local/sbin/../var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at full-of-stars.pid: No
> such file or directory
> /usr/local/sbin/rabbitmq-server: line 85: erl: command not found
> I see two errors here - how do i fix the first one?

The generic unix distribution is designed to run directly from the
unpacked tarball. It determines where to put databases and log files
relative to the launch scripts.

If you want to relocate those things, see
http://www.rabbitmq.com/relocate.html and
http://www.rabbitmq.com/man/rabbitmq-env.conf.5.man.html

I would not suggest you start by unpacking bits of the tarball and
moving them around though, you're likely to spend quite a while fixing
file-not-found errors.

> I assume the
> solution to second one is to install an Erlang compiler/interpreter?

Yes.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen