[rabbitmq-discuss] Downloaded binary distribution (generic unix), can't start it...

Armen Michaeli armen.michaeli at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 14:33:24 GMT 2013

Hello good folks,

I have unpacked the tar archive and copied files in sbin to /../sbin and
manpages as well. I now know that ebin contains erlang compiled code, and
after inspecting the rabbitmq-server script I see that it invokes erl,
which I now know is erlang. I do not have erlang installed, do I need it to
run the server?

Currently, upon launching rabbitmq-server, it gives me access denied,
attempting to write files in most definitely wrong path like:

mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/usr/local/sbin/../var’: Permission denied
/usr/local/sbin/rabbitmq-server: line 80:
/usr/local/sbin/../var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at full-of-stars.pid: No
such file or directory
/usr/local/sbin/rabbitmq-server: line 85: erl: command not found

I see two errors here - how do i fix the first one? I assume the solution
to second one is to install an Erlang compiler/interpreter?