[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ shovel - standalone app?

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Thu May 30 12:13:03 BST 2013

On 29/05/13 12:52, Dominic Wong wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a standalone version of the rabbit shovel
> plugin i.e. one that I can run without having to spin up a rabbit
> broker.

No, the shovel is only distributed as a broker plugin.

> My use case is that I'd like to spin up shovels in a fairly dynamic
> manner without having to restart the broker every time I want to
> change my shovel definitions. For instance, I want a loosely couple
> "cloud" of rabbit brokers and want to shovel messages between them.
> When one broker comes up I'd like to start shovels that push messages
> to this broker and pull messages out of it. I don't think I can
> really use federation since I'd like finer grained control over what
> gets pushed to where.

One solution would be to furnish newly started brokers with the
necessary shovel configuration that affect them.

If you want to run shovels without a broker then it should be possible
to package the shovel as a standalone Erlang release, which depends on
the Erlang client. You will still need to a restart when changing the
configuration, so this will not be much of an improvement.

-Emile