[rabbitmq-discuss] Trace Plugin

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Wed May 29 09:26:17 BST 2013

Jeff,

On 28/05/13 13:52, Jeffery, Mark wrote:
> I have the following scenario that led to my question
>
> On 3.0.1 if I (via Java, not management console)
>
> Have the rabbitmq_tracing plugin enabled
> Declare a queue "tracepublish"
> Bind it to exchange amq.rabbitmq.trace with routing key publish.#
> Start a Consumer on "tracepublish"
> Execute rabbitmqctl trace_on
>
> I receive all the messages published perfectly.
>
> However if I
> Disable the rabbitmq_tracing plugin.
> Declare a queue "tracepublish"
> Bind it to exchange amq.rabbitmq.trace with routing key publish.#
> Start a Consumer on "tracepublish"
> Execute rabbitmqctl trace_on
>
> I get no messages on the consumer side. Almost as though the firehose
> tracing was disabled when the plugin was disabled

I can see nothing in the code that would cause that to happen. Check the
logs for "{Enabling,Disabling} tracing for vhost ..." messages. Any
change in the tracing should be accompanied by these.

Note that the tracing state is checked on channel creation only, so
enabling/disabling tracing after a channel has been created has no
effect on the tracing of messages published/consumed on that channel. I
wonder whether that could explain the difference in behaviour you were
seeing.

Regards,

Matthias.