[rabbitmq-discuss] Recovering an 3-node cluster after power failure

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon May 20 13:35:47 BST 2013

Hi.

If you just want to do the equivalent of "rabbitmqctl reset" with a node
down, then deleting the Mnesia directory (see RABBITMQ_MNESIA_BASE in
http://www.rabbitmq.com/relocate.html for location) is the simplest
thing to do.

If you want to remove a node from a cluster and the lack of that node is
preventing you from starting the cluster, you can set RABBITMQ_NODE_ONLY
for another node, and then invoke "rabbitmqctl forget_cluster_node"
against that.

Cheers, Simon

On 17/05/13 20:32, Sam Winchenbach wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a three node cluster running on VMs for testing purposes:
> node1 (disk)
> node2(disk)
> node3(ram)
>
> Today we had a power outage and all the nodes went down at once.  I am
> having a serious issue recovering from this because node1 thinks it
> belongs to a cluster but node3 disagrees.   I can not seem to do
> anything at all with rabbitmq on node1.   If I try running running
> "rabbitmqctl reset" it can not connect because node1 is down.  How can I
> recover from this gracefully?
>
> Thanks,
> Sam

Simon MacMullen