[rabbitmq-discuss] stability of on-disk formats

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue May 14 11:16:53 BST 2013

On 13/05/13 22:29, John Beck wrote:
> If, as we hope, and some mailing list search hits from 2011 suggested, the
> on-disk formats used by RabbitMQ are generally compatible,

They are upgrade-compatible. If you have a 2.8.7 installation and
upgrade to 3.1.0, RabbitMQ will upgrade the on-disk data from the 2.8.x
format to the 3.1.x format the first time it boots, but you won't then
be able to go back.

As Emile says, we guarantee that the format will not change from a.b.x
to a.b.y, so you can upgrade / downgrade within a bugfix release series,
but you can't (in general) go back to a previous feature release.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal