[rabbitmq-discuss] How to check if the consumer application is processing a message? for how long?

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Mon May 13 10:29:46 BST 2013

Hi,

On 07/05/13 18:43, Prazzy wrote:
> How do we check if the consumer application is processing a message? for
> how long? We are interested to check if consumer application has been
> running for some amount of time. If it exceeds a configured limit, it
> should generate an alert.

It is possible to obtain a count of how many messages in a queue are
unacknowledged by consumers. This typically corresponds to messages that
are being processed by consumers:

 rabbitmqctl list_queues name messages_unacknowledged

It is also possible to get a count of unacknowledged messages per channel:

 rabbitmqctl list_channels pid messages_unacknowledged

It is not possible for the broker to place a limit on how long messages
by remain unacknowledged or to trigger an alert based on this
information. I would suggest that this functionality would be better
placed in the client application.

-Emile