[rabbitmq-discuss] After server notifies of canceled consume, it doesn't acknowledge a channel close

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed May 1 12:06:45 BST 2013

On 01/05/13 05:16, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> I've successfully used the optional server feature of sending a
> basic.cancel when a consumed queue is deleted.  Great.  But a reasonable
> thing to do at that point is to close the channel, right?  But when I
> send a channel.close in that circumstance, RMQ 3.0.4 does not send a
> close-ok.  It doesn't send anything.  This makes my app hang.  I have to
> cheat and ass_u_me that the channel is closed in order to keep working.

Well that definitely sounds wrong.

(Bear in mind that the channel is not damaged by this, you don't have to
close it if you don't want to. But I can see you might want to.)

> Am I doing something wrong?  Is this a server bug?  Both?  :)

I doubt it's a server bug; we have an automated test which closes a
channel after receiving a cancel notification. But Steve points out the
way in which the Java client could trip you up. In previous mails I
think you mentioned using the Perl client; possibly it has a similar
limitation in callbacks?

If not, please post some example code and I will look into it.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware