[rabbitmq-discuss] Guidance on Using F5 Load Balancer with RabbitMQ

Richard Raseley richard at raseley.com
Fri Mar 15 20:04:15 GMT 2013

Tim,

Thank you for your reply. In regard to your comments:

The intent is to abstract all production and consumption operations via the
VIP (which itself is mapped to a pool which contains all of our RabbitMQ
nodes) so that there is a single configured endpoint. With regard to load
balancing, it will load balance across the nodes so that if (for example)
10 producer instances opened up 10 channels to the VIP, 5 would have one
node as an endpoint and 5 would have the other (assuming a 2 node cluster
and round-robin configuration).

I understand that any timeout settings would have to be tuned for the
application, but I was looking for some high level general guidelines (e.g.
"in situation x, consider y and z"). We've ensured that our timeout is
greater than the heartbeat interval.

Regards,

Richard