[rabbitmq-discuss] Confirm consistent hash exchange behavior

SteveO steveolivier22 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 20:42:16 GMT 2013

"You expected that once a routing key was routed to a queue, it continued
routing to that specific queue until the queue is unbound? "

Yeah, not sure why I - but that is what I expected. I probably started
thinking that because that's what I wanted it to do :)

We wanted to guarantee that at any given time, messages would only be
delivered to one queue even if the bindings to other queues changed - like
other queues being added. Processing messages in order is important for us
and if we create a condition where messages exist in multiple queues, we
can't guarantee that order. Over time, if we create and bind more queues to
the same CHX, then we could create that condition - so we don't want to do
that.

If we run into an issue where we need to add more queues, it sounds like
with a slightly more sophisticated producer and routing scheme, we could
just add another CHX. Something like this...

                             |--->CHX1--->Q1, Q2
P ---> TopicExchange
                             |--->CHX2--->Q1, Q2

Thanks.