[rabbitmq-discuss] Syslog

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Mar 13 12:53:08 GMT 2013

On 13/03/13 12:43, Ben Hood wrote:
> This would certainly be a possibility.
>
> I was thinking I might intercept the OTP error_logger during the Rabbit
> boot sequence and add a syslogd client as a report handler, so that I'm
> only injecting code into an existing execution as opposed to having to
> run an extra moving part. But I haven't looked into this in detail yet.

Yeah, that would be my preference too. That gets you essentially the
same thing as binding to amq.rabbitmq.log but at a lower level.

One reason I haven't written such a plugin yet myself (lack of time of
course being another) is that the Erlang syslog clients that I saw used
native code, making the whole thing harder to release as a binary, or
required syslog-over-UDP which might count as "more moving parts".

Cheers, Simon

> On Tuesday, 12 March 2013 at 14:47, Brett Cameron wrote:
>
>> Could you write a little client that leverages the amq.rabbitmq.log
>> exchange? Log file entries are published to this exchange, using the
>> severity level of log messages as the routing key (severity levels are
>> “info”, “warning”, and “error”), so if you bind a queue or three to
>> this exchange you can have clients consume the log messages. A client
>> could then call syslog() to poke stuff into syslog, etc.
>>
>> Although I suppose this still equates to having to deploy another
>> moving part, albeit a small one.
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:40 PM, Ben Hood <0x6e6562 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:0x6e6562 at gmail.com>> wrote:

>>> Hi Jason and Dave,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the pointers to log stash, imfile and message passing -
>>> they are certainly all good options. I guess there is currently no
>>> out of the box way to get Rabbit to send stuff directly to syslog
>>> without having to deploy a separate moving part.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Ben

Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware