[rabbitmq-discuss] Question on throughput with RabbitMQ-3.1.1

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jun 25 13:59:50 BST 2013

Hi,

On 25/06/13 13:38, Priyanki Vashi wrote:

> I have very high end server with 20 CPUs and 120 GB of RAM so I think
> resources wise it's not the bottleneck.

And what about the network speed? I would still try an independent
bandwidth test from network to disk to give you a comparison reference.

The numbers you quoted are about 2 orders of magnitude lower than I
would expect for that hardware. Bear in mind that the queue process is
typically the most CPU-intensive process. A queue on a single server can
occupy at most one CPU, so will benefit more from a faster CPU than from
many CPUs.

> Did u and Tim received my scripts ?

Not yet, but hopefully someone who knows more about the Pika client than
me will be able to comment.

> I learnt that basic_consume is better choice than basic_get since server
> will directly send messages to listening consumer without consumer
> polling it.

Yes, and the asynchronous choice is typically faster.

If you are still stuck with very low throughput then I would recommend
you try the MulticastMain utility, included in the RabbitMQ Java client.
It includes support for many of the options that you want to compare,

-Emile