[rabbitmq-discuss] Possible memory leak in the management plugin

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Jun 17 12:39:14 BST 2013

Hi. Thanks for the report.

My first guess is that garbage collection for the management DB process
is happening too slowly. Can you invoke:

$ rabbitmqctl eval
'P=global:whereis_name(rabbit_mgmt_db),M1=process_info(P,
memory),garbage_collect(P),M2=process_info(P,
memory),{M1,M2,rabbit_vm:memory()}.'

and post the results?

Cheers, Simon

On 15/06/13 03:09, Travis Mehlinger wrote:
> We recently upgraded RabbitMQ from 3.0.4 to 3.1.1 after noticing two bug
> fixes in 3.1.0 related to our RabbitMQ deployment:
>
>   * 25524 fix memory leak in mirror queue slave with many short-lived
>     publishing channel
>   * 25290 fix per-queue memory leak recording stats for mirror queue slaves
>
> However, in our case, it seems that the management plugin may still have
> a memory leak. We have a monitoring agent that hits the REST API to
> gather information about the broker (number of queues, queue depth,
> etc.). With the monitoring agent running and making requests against the
> API, memory consumption steadily increased; when we stopped the agent,
> memory consumption in the management plugin leveled off.
>
> Here a couple graphs detailing memory consumption in the broker (the
> figures are parsed from rabbitmqctl report). The first graph shows the
> ebb and flow of memory consumption in a number of components and the
> second shows just consumption by the management plugin. You can see
> pretty clearly where we stopped the monitoring agent at 1:20.
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7022167/Screenshots/n-np6obt-m9f.png
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7022167/Screenshots/an6dpup33xvx.png
>
> We have two clustered brokers, both running RabbitMQ 3.1.1 on Erlang
> R14B-04.1. There are typically around 200 queues, about 20 of which are
> mirrored. There are generally about 200 consumers. Messages are rarely
> queued and most queues typically sit idle.
>
> I'll be happy to provide any further diagnostic information.
>
> Thanks!

Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal