[rabbitmq-discuss] blocked producers

Jason McIntosh mcintoshj at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 05:43:33 BST 2013

Note, this is why you have clustering and failover (i.e. load balancers)
between your client and rabbit servers.  Then across sites you can do
shoveling/federation for further disconnects.  But generally with-in a
local area network, a load balancer works wonders for this.  See:
http://rabbitmq.com/ha.html
for some more details,
Jason

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Thierry Thelliez <
thierry.thelliez.tech at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I agree that a local queue might not be the answer (and we could go
> in a recursive argument;-).
>
> But I guess that the client/producer should have a way to store events in
> case the message broker goes down. Using a local database might be an
> option (although that's just another moving part and that could be
> considered like a local queue system as well).
>
> I am just curious about what people do in production.
>
> I need to send user generated files to a conversion worker pool.  If the
> message broker goes down for any reason, the clients/producers need to
> continue dealing with the incoming traffic and locally store the files
> until the broker goes back up.  In other words, it seems like the client
> needs to keep a record of the ongoing transactions/conversions.  Is that
> correct?
>
> Thierry
>

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Matthias Radestock <matthias at rabbitmq.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Thierry,
>>

>> On 20/07/13 00:12, Thierry Thelliez wrote:
>>
>>> Interesting discussion.   I am new to RabbitMQ and I am trying to
>>> understand the coding and architecture requirements on the Producer side.
>>>
>>> What happens if the Producer cannot push to a queue?  Does that mean
>>> that the Producer system should plan for its own local queue until the
>>> broker is back?  What do you do in production when you do not want to
>>> loose these messages?
>>>

>> That depends on the app and what failure scenarios you are most concerned
>> about.
>>
>> Local queues add another moving part that itself can fail.
>>

>> Note that the thread discussed blocked producers. No messages are lost in
>> that situation; message loss would only occur if client or server are
>> terminated/crash or there is a prolonged network disruption.
>>

>> Matthias.

Jason McIntosh
http://mcintosh.poetshome.com/blog/
573-424-7612