[rabbitmq-discuss] Ghost consumers problem

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Jul 4 15:29:44 BST 2013

AMQP heartbeats should solve this problem. Since 3.0.0 the server
attempts to negotiate heartbeats by default but I don't know what
rabbitmq-c does in response to that; given its low-level nature I
imagine you have to do some work to get them running so they would be
disabled by default.

Cheers, Simon

On 04/07/13 15:06, Jose Ramon Palanco wrote:

> We have an rabbitmq installation and we use rabbitmq-c clients compiled
> for microsoft windows and running as a service. Everything works fine,
> even we have enabled encrypted communications using OpenSSL.
>
> It turns out that we have a problem with ghost consumers and having read
> a lot, we still come up with the solution.
>
> The scenario is as follows:
>
> Clients connect to the broker and everything works fine until Windows
> restarts. To speedup system reboot, Microsoft doesn't give us a chance
> to finish executing our tasks: so we can't closed session properly.
>
> This implies that the queue remains alive with a ghost consumer.
>
> After reboot, the service starts and when trying to create the queue, it
> conflicts with the former queue. We tried to create the queue as
> exclusive, but it doesn't allow us to connect because we haven't permission.
>
> Is there a way to close the communications when a connection is not
> stablished? Or in the worst case, there is a procedure to clean the
> queues with ghost consumers?
>

> Best regards
>
> J.R

Simon MacMullen