[rabbitmq-discuss] Is there any performance penalty for using vhost?

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jul 2 09:51:29 BST 2013

Hi,

On 02/07/13 07:48, Atul Dambalkar wrote:

> I would like to know if there any limitations in using vhosts such as
> number of vhosts allowed and/or any performance penalty since each
> vhost will have it's own exchanges, bindings and queues.

No there should be no performance difference if you defined the same
number of resources across multiple vhosts vs. one vhost. There is no
set limit to the number of vhosts that can be created.

> Also could there be any run-time configuration issues surrounding vhost
> creation along with security credentials?

Vhosts and user accounts can be created at run-time just like queues and
exchanges (except that vhosts and accounts can't be created using AMQP
methods). It is not clear what kind of issues you have in mind - one
potential issue with credentials is that removing an account doesn't
automatically close active connections opened by that account.

-Emile