[rabbitmq-discuss] How to debug queue memory leak

Max Kuznecov mek at mek.uz.ua
Mon Jan 28 10:32:23 GMT 2013

2013/1/28 Matthias Radestock <matthias at rabbitmq.com>:

> Do you remember what the pid was of that queue? So I can correlate that with
> the report output.

I was <rabbit at sps.3.3485.3>

> We introduced a background gc in 3.0.0, which should control the memory
> consumption of slow moving queues and other lightly-used processes. However,
> it runs at most once per minute, less frequently if gc takes a long of time.
> I wonder whether that is too infrequent for your usage pattern.

Should I try 2.8.7 to see if the same going to happen?

> This may be particularly an issue when the messages are large. What's the
> average message size passing through the queues?

Well, I'm not sure, there are lots of small messages (about hundred of
bytes) but large messages (several kilobytes) are being sent from time
to time as well.

> One way to check whether (lack of) gc is an issue, is to perform an explicit
> gc on the process with
>
> rabbitmqctl eval 'garbage_collect(rabbit_misc:string_to_pid("<ThePid>")).'
>
> and see whether that drops the memory usage significantly.

It doesn't seem to have any effect in my case.

--
~syhpoon