[rabbitmq-discuss] Consistent Hash Exchange

matthew.collinge at comparethemarket.com matthew.collinge at comparethemarket.com
Fri Jan 4 15:13:46 GMT 2013

We are looking at using your consistent hash exchange for partitioning
messages that we need to be processes synchronously based on a partition
key (GUID in our case). The issue we currently face is that we are already
using the routing key for subscriptions based on message type. As there
will be messages of multiple types for the same partition key this will
result in different routing keys and therefore different hashes of those
keys for message that we want partitioned into the same destination queue.

What would be the best way to go about trying to achieve this? I have
thought of the following options but do not know the relative merits with
respect to performance and the inner workings of RabbitMQ:

i)                    Hash based on the first or last portion of a routing
key (<HashME>.Iamused.For.Other.Routing)

ii)                   Hash based on a Message Header

iii)                 Hash based on a Message Property

Is there any approach that you would advocate or indeed strongly advise
against?

Thank you in advance.