[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ for synchronous communication

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Fri Jan 4 12:00:41 GMT 2013

Hi,

On 04/01/13 09:55, antony wrote:
> 1) In the Asynchronous mode we have various options for guaranteed delivery
> like auto ack, explicit ack from the subscriber etc. How do we handle the
> same in 'synchronous' scenario with the request queue and response queue in
> picture?

You can select client or server acknowledgements with synchronous mode
using the no-ack field of the basic.ack method:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/amqp-0-9-1-reference.html#basic.get.no-ack
Some clients call this field "auto-ack".

> 2) We are planning to have highly available queues in a cluster by taking
> advantage of queue mirroring feature supported in rabbitmq for asynchronous
> scenarios. Is the approach same for synchronous use cases and do we need to
> mirror both request and response queues ?

Whether messages are retrieved synchronously and whether queues are
mirrored are orthogonal so you can use these together in any
combination.

You should decide whether to mirror queues based on the same
considerations you would normally apply. Eg, are there sufficient
resources to support mirroring and what is the impact of a node crashing?

-Emile