[rabbitmq-discuss] Blocked/blocking connections & Memory fluctuations

shridharan muthu shridharan.m at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 17:11:13 GMT 2013

Hi there,

   I am noticing couple of issues in our rabbit cluster (of 2 nodes).

   1. I notice a lot of blocked and blocking connections in the management
   admin UI but "rabbitmqctl list_connections" is not showing any blocked or
   blocking connections. These connections are living over a day and since we
   use php in our application layer, none of these connections should not live
   more than 5 mins. Whats strange is that this symptom is noticed in only one
   of the nodes of the cluster.
   2. Memory doubles once in a few seconds on same node of the cluster. May
   be GC is kicking in? Not sure whether it could relate to the
   blocked/blocking connections. Since this node didn't hit memory watermark
   level, logs doesn't have any warning/errors.

[image: Inline image 1]
    I am thinking about restarting the node and putting it back in the
cluster to see whether this goes away but I would like to understand what
is going on. Any help is appreciated.

    On a related note, I have a question about redistributing queues after
maintanence. For a cluster with 2 nodes (node 1 & node 2) with mirroring,
lets say out of 12 queues, 6 lives in node 1 (as master) and other 6 lives
in node 2.  For maintenance reasons, if I take node 2 down and put it back
in the cluster, all queues will live node 1 at this point. Is there any way
to redistribute the queues among these 2 nodes in this case to move 6
queues back to node 2?

Thanks,
Shri