[rabbitmq-discuss] message persistence and file store

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Wed Dec 4 16:20:37 GMT 2013

Hi,

On 04/12/13 16:06, PATAR, SAGAR wrote:

> We have a topic exchange and have 3 binding’s to 3 durable queues … Just
> wanted to understand if there will be 3 copies of messages meaning  3
> times the size of the message is getting stored on the disk ??

Storage is shared across queues, so only one copy of the message will
appear on disk.

> Also does rabbitmq use file storage on the disk to store the message??
> Where can we change the storage size of the file store etc.. ??

The location pointed to by RABBITMQ_MNESIA_BASE is used. If you want to
place a limit on the storage then assign a separate disk drive or
partition to the broker.

> Also does copying this file store across similar configured nodes help
> to show/consume the messages stuck in the file store on the new node
> …(in case we don’t want to use federation plugin and just want to
> transfer the file stores to our failover env. .. will the rabbitmq able
> to start off using the copied filestore ??)
This will only work if the entire directory is copied when the broker is
shut down, and the destination node must have the same nodename as the
source node.

-Emile