[rabbitmq-discuss] Exclusive queue with no connections still alive & locked

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Dec 2 16:30:50 GMT 2013

The queue can take a while to delete itself, especially if it contains
lots of persistent messages. But the connection goes away immediately. I
think that's what you're seeing.

In particular the combination "Exclusive Owner: unknown" and "Status:
Active" makes some sense, as the queue can still be working. You should
never see the combination "Exclusive Owner: unknown" and "Status: Idle".

Cheers, Simon

On 02/12/13 16:18, Brian Reischl wrote:
> I have run into a situation that seems like it should be impossible,
> assuming I understand everything correctly.
>
> I have created an Exclusive, AutoDelete queue with a client-specified
> name. The queue is undeletable - delete attempts fail with "405
> RESOURCE_LOCKED - cannot obtain exclusive access to locked
> queue". However, there there are no connections at all to the server.
> When I go to the Connections tab in the admin UI, it says "... no
> connections ..." The Queue properties in Admin UI says "Exclusive Owner:
> *unknown*" and "Status: Active". There are no publishers or consumers
> listed. So shouldn't the queue have been deleted already, since it is
> Exclusive?
>
> This is on my dev machine, so it's not a huge problem. I'm wondering if
> this is a bug in the server code, or merely in my understanding of it.
> I'm using RabbitMQ 3.1.3, Erlang R16B01.
>
> Thanks!

Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal