[rabbitmq-discuss] High load average with rabbitmq-server 3.1.x

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Mon Aug 19 08:45:58 BST 2013

Dan,

On 19/08/13 08:37, Daniel Bason wrote:
> Thanks for the response, so the extra process queue during our peak
> message throughput which in turn causes the load average to be reported
> much higher is just a side effect of this?

I suspect so, though w/o delving into the Erlang VM, in particular its
threading and I/O model, we cannot be sure. The VM typically uses as
many threads as there are cores, but there is a separate pool of threads
for I/O, so it's reasonable to conclude that under heavy I/O load the
load average can exceed the number of cores.

Matthias.