[rabbitmq-discuss] Question on RabbitMQ and file I/O characteristics

Matt Pietrek mpietrek at skytap.com
Mon Aug 5 18:11:37 BST 2013

Thanks for the background Simon.

One statement caught my attention though:

> At 40 msg/s you are publishing slowly enough that RabbitMQ probably won't
start to coalesce these events together.

In my original message I didn't lay out all my results - I was trying to
keep the question simple. That said, the 4 write/sec pattern held up at
higher rates. For instance, on a machine with a faster disk, the same test
could do 400 messages/sec, and per tools like sar, were seeing 1600 disk
writes/sec.

As you can imagine, at those I/O rater we're rapidly coming close to the
disk's ability to keep up, thus the question about the writes/message rates.

So with this additional context, any additional insight?

Thanks,

Matt