[rabbitmq-discuss] Question on RabbitMQ and file I/O characteristics

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Aug 5 10:59:57 BST 2013

That filename is typical of those of a queue index journal. That's the
file that records the state of messages in the queue - when a message
has been published, when it's been confirmed (transactional publish is
internally implemented in terms of confirms), when it's been delivered,
and when it's been acknowledged (I assume you are using acks).

So it is very possible to get four disk writes to the journal per
message for publish / confirm / deliver / ack.

At 40 msg/s you are publishing slowly enough that RabbitMQ probably
won't start to coalesce these events together. So as you start to
publish faster you should start to see fewer writes per message -
eventually you should see many messages per write.

Therefore I wouldn't try to scale the numbers you're seeing up to
predict anything - you're likely to be much better off running some
benchmark with MulticastMain or similar.

Cheers, Simon