[rabbitmq-discuss] how to call a model from rabbitmq php consumer's callback in codeigniter?

Alvaro Videla videlalvaro at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 15:46:18 BST 2013

Hi,

The code for register_shutdown_function is used to call a function when PHP
is shutting down. For example if you want to do some resources clean up
(like closing database connections and so on), you could do it there.

If inside that shutdown function you need to call methods in the
controller, that is, your $this object, then you need to pass it as an
extra argument, as explained here:
http://php.net/manual/en/function.register-shutdown-function.php

On the other hand if you need to pass more arguments to the RabbitMQ
callback, the one that you use in your basic_consume function, the you need
to pass them to the callback function there, for example by using the 'use'
keyword as explained here: http://php.net/manual/en/functions.anonymous.php

Besides that I recommend you to refactor that consumer code out of the
controller into a consumer class or something similar. Keep in mind to
always keep thin controllers.

Also if your consumer callbacks need to use a lot of extra arguments, maybe
is better to create a class for them, instantiate an object and pass the
data inside via the constructor for example.

Regarding MySQL going away, you probably need to search in a php-mysql
forum to see how to solve that MySQL timeout. You could either increase the
timeout value in the server conf, issue a simple query every now and then
to keep the connection alive or implement a reconnection strategy, for
example by catching an exception.

Regards,

Alvaro