[rabbitmq-discuss] Freely licensed specs

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Apr 25 10:56:21 BST 2013

On 24/04/13 18:27, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Simon MacMullen (2013-04-24 17:40:08)
>> That's not entirely true; the extended spec which the RabbitMQ server
>> and official (and many unofficial) clients actually use:
>>
>> http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-codegen/file/bbf467c98a21/amqp-rabbitmq-0.9.1.json
>>
>> is BSD-licensed.
>
> Ah, so it exists, just well hidden.

Yeah, we should probably point to that from
http://www.rabbitmq.com/protocol.html.

> As I wrote in my P.S. I believe to have those specs prepared for you
> already - just needs proof-reading and formal hand-over (from your side
> only: I need no credit, but your license doesn't allow my editing so you
> need to permit me that explicitly, I believe).

If you don't mind sending me what you've got that would be handy.

> Now that I inspected more closely it turns out that only a single
> package - qpid-python - is in violation - and then not your derived
> specs but original ones.

OK, phew.

> Even if not so serious after all, still relevant for my needs: The Perl
> module [AnyEvent::RabbitMQ] ships with your published XML.  I will get
> in touch with the author and suggest using your JSON instead...

It's probably easier for them to wait for a DFSG-free XML than change to
JSON. We should get one sorted out in a week or so (hands are full with
getting 3.1.0 out though so it might not be immediate since packages
aren't on the verge of being ejected from Debian...)

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware