[rabbitmq-discuss] Filtering

Tim Watson watson.timothy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 11:58:55 BST 2013

Hi Lee

On 15 Apr 2013, at 11:49, Lee Sylvester <lee.sylvester at gmail.com> wrote:

> The simple answer is that I have been told to beware hogging the Erlang messaging layer, as too much traffic could restrict the node heartbeat which can cause nodes to disconnect from one another.

This is certainly true. Someone should really patch the distribution protocol to prioritise heartbeats, but that's a different story....

> The websockets may send many packets per second which, over many connections, would make inter-node messaging the bottleneck.  I'm willing to deal with this, but if such traffic causes fragmentation between Erlang communications, it's yet another obstacle to tackle.

That's worth considering, although you might be able to work around chatty comms by batching. But if you really think you'll saturate the network then implementing a solution over AMQP might actually be less effort. Let us know how you get on please! :)

Cheers,
Tim