[rabbitmq-discuss] HA performance

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Apr 11 16:34:51 BST 2013

On 11/04/13 16:27, rabbit15 wrote:
> Hi, I have question about HA performance. I have 37 queues which are
> mirriored and when I'm using HA then my performance  is worse several
> times.I was trying with DISC and RAM options, both solution are similar for
> my performance. Could you tell me what can I do to have better performance?
> Is that good idea to switch off HA when the performance is too worse to
> normal work and then switch on when application can work ?
> Best Regards,
> Artur

Well, HA queues do more work than non-HA queues. They do more work
per-node, since they have to coordinate with each other - and then that
work is duplicated across each node.

So for performance:

* Don't use HA if you don't need it
* If you have many nodes, replicate to as few of them as possible (i.e.
don't use "all" mode)
* disc vs ram does not really matter
* Make sure you are using an up to date version of RabbitMQ (2.x is much
slower for HA)

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen