[rabbitmq-discuss] Federated Exchange Advice

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Sep 10 10:37:33 BST 2012

On 06/09/2012 7:58PM, Ilya Volodarsky wrote:
> Thanks Simon. I was using RabbitMQ management console to set up the
> exchange to exchange bindings, and the upstream exchanges showed up as
> "production-ingestion from rabbit at hostname",

No. This is not the upstream exchange per se - this is an internal part
of the federation mechanism. Binding to this exchange will give
unpredictable results.

> and when I tried to bind
> ingestion to production-ingestion, it wouldn't let me saying that the
> exchange didnt exist.

Well we need to get to the bottom of that. Did it exist? I suspect a
typo to be honest.

> I had to give the full upstream exchange name
> which looked precarious since it contained the actual hostname of the
> connecting computer.

No, really don't do that.

> Do you think that doing that / or using RMQ management console could
> have something to do with it?

Using mgmt should have nothing to do with it.

Cheers, Simon