[rabbitmq-discuss] Multiple nodes on single box

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Tue Sep 4 17:07:28 BST 2012

On 2 Sep 2012, at 21:54, Malgorzata wrote:

> Hello Steve
> I would like to ask you for some help.  I tried your approach with reusing
> core code to run RabbitMQ on two different ports on the same machine,
> however each time I try to start up second server it freezes. I created the
> wrappers for my two nodes (node1.sh and node2.sh in home directory)
> containing info about distinct Node port and node name and list of
> environmental variables pointing to the directory called node1/node2 with
> copies of the default content from mnesia as well as the copy of the
> /etc/rabbitmq/enabled_plugins file.

What environment variables are you setting up in your script? Here's the list that I think you'll need to override:

RABBITMQ_LOG_BASE,
RABBITMQ_CONFIG_FILE,
RABBITMQ_PLUGINS_EXPAND_DIR
RABBITMQ_ENABLED_PLUGINS_FILE,
RABBITMQ_NODE_IP_ADDRESS,
RABBITMQ_ALLOW_INPUT,
RABBITMQ_NODENAME,
RABBITMQ_MNESIA_DIR,
RABBITMQ_PID_FILE,
RABBITMQ_NODE_PORT

And potentially some others, but that's a good start. Anyway the port is specified in RABBITMQ_NODE_PORT (note that there's another variable for SSL listeners).

> What am I doing wrong? Please help. I really would like to make this set up
> work... I appreciate any advice you may give me...

We'd need to see that startup logs and output of `rabbitmqctl -n <nodename> status` for the nodes to actually diagnose a problem.