[rabbitmq-discuss] x-received-from headers with the Shovel plugin...

David Buckingham David.Buckingham at cbeyond.net
Fri Nov 30 21:23:05 GMT 2012

It's not that I want shovel to be more opinionated, just more informative.  For example, I'm playing with a topology that includes both federation and shovel.  I'd like to offer the consumers the ability to have a true understanding of the path of the message.  Currently, the x-received-from header only includes the upstream exchanges where the message was published.  If the message was originally "shoveled" from a remote queue to the upstream exchange, I'd like the x-received-from header to indicate both the source (shoveled queue), and the upstream exchange.

Is it possible to "fake" the x-received-from header using the 'publish_properties' config item?

I wrote a test using the .NET client where my client app manually creates the x-received-from header for the original "shoveled" queue.  It appears that the Federation plugin simply appends to it, which is nice.  It would be nice if it were done automagically!