[rabbitmq-discuss] Newbie question on work queues with Rabbit MQ

Rajesh rajesh at saksestechnologies.com
Mon Nov 26 05:39:06 GMT 2012

Hi,

We are trying to use RabbitMQ in a java application we are working on. The use
case is straight forward -

Upon a business event trigger, we need to execute business process on thousands
of rows in the database. So we want to use a
queueing mechanism where the publisher publishes a message for each record that
need to be processed (thousands of messages).
We want to process these messages using multiple consumers in parallel.

Based on what I have seen in the samples we will have to run as many instances
of worker.java as the number of consumers we
would need. Is this correct? If so what are the best practices in doing the same
in java (from a deployment perspective)?

I am also thinking having one worker.java spawning multiple threads and each
thread would register with the queue as a different
consumer. Is this possible? If so any pitfalls we need to be aware of?

Any information will be of great help..

Thanks
Rajesh