[rabbitmq-discuss] 100% CPU usage with 2.8.4 when out file descriptors

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue Nov 13 19:32:11 GMT 2012

Lars,

On 13/11/12 18:31, Lars Windolf wrote:
> I was asked by Matthias Rodestock to submit my experience [1] with
> 100% CPU usage when file descriptors are used up.
>
> My setup:
> - Recent Chef with Ubuntu rabbitmq-server package 2.8.4-1
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1.) Set ulimit -n to low value (e.g. default of 1024)
> 2.) Connect a lot of chef nodes, do a lot of stuff
> 3.) Wait 2 or 3 days
>
> After this memory usage goes up and at some time it starts eating CPU.
> It does stop working then. Listing the queues doesn't work anymore.
> Restarting the service doesn't help. "rabbitmqctl report" shows ~100%
> used file descriptors.
>
> Increasing the ulimit and restarting RabbitMQ immediately helps.
>
> Best Regards,
> Lars
>
> [1] http://lzone.de/Solving+100%25+CPU+usage+of+Chef

Thanks for submitting this report. The bug in question got fixed in
RabbitMQ 2.8.5. It would be great if a) you were able to confirm that
(*), and b) help disseminate that information to the Chef users.

I guess people are still running into this because Debian testing and
Ubuntu Quantal ship with 2.8.4.

Regards,

Matthias.
(*) Many other bugs have been fixed since then, so we always encourage
users to upgrade to the latest release, which currently is 2.8.7.