[rabbitmq-discuss] 100% CPU usage with 2.8.4 when out file descriptors

Lars Windolf lars.lindner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 18:31:51 GMT 2012

Hello,

I was asked by Matthias Rodestock to submit my experience [1] with
100% CPU usage when file descriptors are used up.

My setup:
- Recent Chef with Ubuntu rabbitmq-server package 2.8.4-1

Steps to reproduce:
1.) Set ulimit -n to low value (e.g. default of 1024)
2.) Connect a lot of chef nodes, do a lot of stuff
3.) Wait 2 or 3 days

After this memory usage goes up and at some time it starts eating CPU.
It does stop working then. Listing the queues doesn't work anymore.
Restarting the service doesn't help. "rabbitmqctl report" shows ~100%
used file descriptors.

Increasing the ulimit and restarting RabbitMQ immediately helps.

Best Regards,
Lars

[1] http://lzone.de/Solving+100%25+CPU+usage+of+Chef

PS: Please CC in case of questions as I have not subscribed to the list