[rabbitmq-discuss] Upgrading erlang, rabbitmq in a cluster.

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Mon Nov 12 12:38:14 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 12/11/12 11:32, Jean Paul Galea wrote:
> The question is, how do we keep these two nodes up to date with the
> latest versions, without suffering downtime?

Details on how to upgrade a cluster are relevant in your case:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html#upgrading

It is not possible to upgrade a cluster without downtime, since all
nodes need to run the same version of RabbitMQ. All the nodes in the
cluster have to be shut down during upgrade, implying downtime.

The interruptions can be as short as a server reboot. The impact of the
broker downtime can also be minimised by having publishers and consumers
automatically retry failed connections to the broker. Persistent
messages that exist in queues are preserved when the broker is upgraded,
so messages won't be lost due to upgrades.

-Emile