[rabbitmq-discuss] Nightlies now available - help us test RabbitMQ 3.0

Mark Ward ward.mark at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 15:50:26 GMT 2012

Simon,

Thank you for the announcement and I am enjoying RabbitMQ.  I have begun to
test out the new nightly build and decided to give Windows 2012 a try.  I
don't think we are going to be using Windows 2012 in production any time
soon but I figured I would give it a try and see how things worked.

It appears the RabbitMQ commands do not find the ERLANG_HOME environment
variable.  The command I tried to execute was "rabbitmq-plugins enable
rabbitmq_management"  This is being executed in a cmd window and not
PowerShell.

I have installed Erlang 5.9.2 (R15B02) x64bit.  The environment variable
ERLANG_HOME already existed and is set to "c:\Program Files\erl5.9.2"

I installed the nightly build you posted in the link.  After the
installation I did not find the .erlang cookie files in C:\windows or in my
home directory.  The RabbitMQ windows service was not present in the
Services manager.  The AppData\Roaming\RabbitMQ directory was created with
DB and Log.  DB and Log are empty.

The rest of the RabbitMQ command line commands do not execute due to not
finding the environment variable.  I tested the RabbitMQ commands in
powershell and the same result.

If I "echo %ERLANG_HOME%" I get the c:\program files\erl5.9.2" as output and
I have verified erlang is at this location.

I'll probably start a Windows 2k8 r2 machine to test out the nightly builds.
I just wanted to share what I ran into when testing on Windows 2012 Server.
I might also hack up the batch files and see if that helps get it up and
running.

-Mark