[rabbitmq-discuss] Memory leak with file_io_server, server_loop?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue Nov 6 00:23:12 GMT 2012

Travis,

On 05/11/12 23:38, Travis wrote:
> Not sure if we've found another memory leak or not.  We're running
> 2.8.6 and experiencing periods where we're triggering the
> vm_memory_highwater_mark.  I've had to restart rabbitmq twice today
> because of this.

We've seen this a few times on our test system.

> I've attempted to force a gc, but it doesn't seem to affect the memory
> usage appreciably.

Hmm. forcing a gc of the file_io_server process *should* drop the memory
usage. What exactly did you try?

rabbitmqctl eval '[garbage_collect(P) || {P, _} <-
ets:tab2list(file_io_servers)].'

should do the trick.

It is quite possible that the file_io_servers in question deal with log
files. Do you have particularly large log files on those machines? You
may want to reduce the connection log level - see
http://www.rabbitmq.com/configure.html#config-items - and/or rotate the
logs with http://www.rabbitmq.com/man/rabbitmqctl.1.man.html#rotate_logs

Regards,

Matthias.