[rabbitmq-discuss] Windows service recovery

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Fri May 25 15:58:56 BST 2012

Hi Lior,

On 23/05/12 15:37, Lior Barnea wrote:
> Killing erlsvr.exe does not stop erl.exe (meaning rabbitMQ still
> running) but does alert windows that then tries to restart erlsvr.exe
>
> When erlsvr.exe is started again, it tries to spawn erl.exe again and
> fails because it is already running, failing erlsvr.exe completely,
> recovery failed.

I can confirm that your description is accurate. erlsrv acts as an
interface between the Windows service management and the Erlang process.
It can communicate failures of the broker to Windows but it does not
cope if erlsrv itself fails. The design is presumably based on the
estimate that the broker is far more likely to fail.

Are you exploring a hypothetical concern or is this a real issue that is
preventing you from deploying and using the broker?

-Emile