[rabbitmq-discuss] some basic management questions

Mark Seger mjseger at gmail.com
Thu May 24 21:31:03 BST 2012

I'm brand new to rabbit and have started looking at the management options
with an eye towards developing a collectl plugin (that's collectl with an L
nor a D): http://collectl.sourceforge.net/

Anyhow I finally figured out how to get into the web interface and am
currently looking at a display that shows:
Ready: 6 Unacknowledged: 29 Total: 35 and 4 msgs delivered/sec and 4
acknowledged per sec.  So far so good.

Now I want to try to display those same values using the cli, rabbitmqadmin
and try as I may, I can't get anything remotely that looks like those
numbers.  I tried all the list commands and in fact most, other than users,
nodes and bindings produced any real output other than 'connections' and
'channels' which both listed a ton of output.  Am I doing something wrong?

Then I discovered a collectd plugin which from the source I can see uses
rabbitmgctl, so I tried that.  Not much more luck there but when I tried
the 'report' command it went on forever.  ;)  The collectd plugin looks
like it does a command using list_queues so how come I'm not getting output
either here or with the rabbitmqadmin command?

As I said, I'm a newbie so I'm sure I'm getting something wrong that's very
basic...

-mark