[rabbitmq-discuss] a simple erlang question

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Wed May 23 10:09:04 BST 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 05:07:15PM +0800, Cloud DNS wrote:
> Since rabbitmq is developed with erlang, may I ask an erlang question here?

Erm, this once, sure, but please use #erlang on freenode or the
erlang-questions mailing list. There are hundreds of people on this list
that are concerned more with Rabbit and less with Erlang.

> 7> LI=[hello,"world"].
> [hello,"world"]
>
> For the statement above, hello is an atom, so what is the "world"?

List of characters. Or, list of bounded numbers, which when displayed
are understood by the io_lib functions to be characters so are displayed
as such.

1> [X + 1 || X <- "world"].
"xpsme"

Matthew