[rabbitmq-discuss] SSL Certificate Error

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Thu May 3 10:36:19 BST 2012

Hi James,

On 02/05/12 20:24, james.poole at rsa.com wrote:
> Can anyone help me understand what is happening when I try to enable SSL
> using Non-OpenSSL certificates?  The certificates being used are working
> as SSL Server certificates with Apache 2.2.22, but when I use them with
> RabbitMQ, it is failing.  Also, if I generate OpenSSL certificates to
> test with, the same setup works (same config file, server, etc).

Unfortunately "ecertfile" is a generic error that does not allow any
more precise diagnosis than what you already concluded:

> From the online docs, it definitely looks like Erlang is having problems
> with the Server Certificate (“ecertfile” reference), but how would I
> debug this further to try and diagnose the cause?

Have you tried the steps in the SSL troubleshooting guide?
http://www.rabbitmq.com/troubleshooting-ssl.html

If that doesn't work then analyse the differences between the
certificates and reduce them incrementally.

You didn't say which version of Erlang you were using. (Line numbers
suggest R15B?) On average the quality of Erlang SSL increases with
versions, so try a later version.

If you do find a solution then please let us know.

-Emile