[rabbitmq-discuss] Failed to add an exchange via the web interface

Lionel Cons lionel.cons at cern.ch
Fri Mar 23 07:36:52 GMT 2012

When tyring to use Tony's udp-exchange[1], I got an error while trying to
add an exchange via the web console. The x-udp exchange is documented to
use:

| Key   Type    Optional? Description
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------
| port  short   no        Port number to listen for incoming packets on
| ip    string  yes       IP address to listen on; default is 0.0.0.0

I did add a "port" argument but the web interface did not offer me to select
any type. This apparently generated an error:

{error,
    {exit,
        {{badarg,
             [{io_lib,format,
                  ["Missing 'port' argument to ~p exchange",
                   {resource,<<"rabbitmq">>,exchange,<<"lionel.udp">>}]},
              {rabbit_misc,format,2},
              {rabbit_misc,amqp_error,4},
              {rabbit_misc,protocol_error,4},
              {udp_exchange,endpoint_params,1},
              {udp_exchange,validate,1},
              {rabbit_exchange,declare,6},
              {rabbit_channel,handle_method,3}]},
         {gen_server,call,
             [<0.3764.0>,
              {call,
                  {'exchange.declare',0,<<"test.udp">>,<<"x-udp">>,false,
                      true,false,false,false,
                      [{<<"port">>,longstr,<<"12345">>}]},
                  none,<0.2441.0>},
              infinity]}},
        [{gen_server,call,3},
         {rabbit_mgmt_util,'-amqp_request/5-fun-0-',4},
         {rabbit_mgmt_util,with_channel,5},
         {rabbit_mgmt_util,http_to_amqp,5},
         {webmachine_resource,resource_call,3},
         {webmachine_resource,do,3},
         {webmachine_decision_core,resource_call,1},
         {webmachine_decision_core,accept_helper,0}]}}

If indeed the error comes from type mismatch (short expected and longstr
provided), could the web interface allow specifying the arguments types?

Cheers,

Lionel

[1] https://github.com/tonyg/udp-exchange