[rabbitmq-discuss] Federation with Clusters and Load Balancers

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Mar 20 11:54:55 GMT 2012

On 19/03/12 18:30, James Carr wrote:
> One more question... is it possible to define an alternate exchange
> for the downstream exchange? Currently I have upstream exchanges that
> any number of message types can be published to  and I'd like a "catch
> all" for the downstream when messages don't get routed.

It's possible to define an alternate exchange since federated exchanges
are just exchanges, and you can define an alternate exchange on any
exchange.

However, the federation plugin goes to some effort to avoid transmitting
messages that will not be routed, so it won't be much use for messages
transmitted over the link if you have a federated topic exchange.

You could work around this if you want all messages to be delivered via
alternate-exchange. Federate a fanout exchange, then bind a topic (or
whatever) exchange to that with alternate-exchange defined and the
queues bound to it.

Because the federated exchange is of fanout type the federation plugin
will federate all the messages for it.

Does this make sense?

Cheers, Simon

--