[rabbitmq-discuss] Questions about limit alarm and report in the log file

Jerry Kuch jerryk at vmware.com
Mon Mar 12 15:48:09 GMT 2012

Hi, Andrea:

When you see the former, it might not be a bad idea to take a peek with
lsof, or similar, and see just what the file descriptors for Rabbit
correspond to.  Remember, they're not all going to correspond to sockets,
as Rabbit has various files it deals with during operation.  Using ulimit
or editing limits.conf to change what your OS is making available to Rabbit
is also something to keep in mind if you're finding yourself regularly
running low on fd's.

If things are working normally you'll see the alarm set when you hit a limit,
and clear when that warning condition remits, say after something is closed.

How many connections is your broker maintaining when you see these?  Rabbit
will use a file descriptor for each connection, but also tries to leave them
open until it finds a reason to close them, for example, it starts approaching
a limit as you see here.

Best regards,
Jerry