[rabbitmq-discuss] Basic High Availability questions

Jerry Kuch jerryk at vmware.com
Thu Mar 1 18:50:35 GMT 2012

Hi, Christopher:

Mirrored queues are actually a new active-active form of RabbitMQ HA,
disjoint from the classic active-passive using Pacemaker model in
versions prior to 2.6.0.

1) In mirrored queues there's no need for any Pacemaker.  You specify
that you want a queue mirrored, and replicas are made on the cluster
nodes you specify.  At any moment there's a designated master and
slaves, the management thereof all happening within the Rabbit cluster
without involvement of any external forces.

2) You can indeed continue connecting to any node in the cluster when
you consume from queues, mirrored or otherwise.  The only real case
where an application needs to know something about cluster topology
and where mirrored copies of queues live is when doing queue.declares.
The contents a consumer sees when consuming are those of the master.

3) You don't need to worry about floating IP trickery if you're using
the new mirrored queue HA/HA.  Operationally it's much less complex
than the old way.

Best regards,
Jerry