[rabbitmq-discuss] Question Regarding Writing Plugin

Tim Watson watson.timothy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 06:51:04 BST 2012

Ashutosh - this mailing list is an important resource for rabbit users (e.g., other people having difficulty building on Windows perhaps) so please remember to cc the list.

From what I can see, you are still not building the top level dependencies first. You need to build in the right order (although http://www.rabbitmq.com/plugin-development.html claims that you can just cd into a plugin sub-directory and build, so I'll validate that and update either the documentation of this thread, depending on which is correct). I did

% hg clone <path>
% cd rabbitmq-public-umbrella
% make checkout
% make all

Now in answer to your question 'Which file path he is asking to exists' [sic] - the answer is right in front of you!  The output says "can't find include lib "rabbit_common/include/rabbit.hrl" so that is the file which is missing! I will admit this is a bit opaque as the rabbit_common library is built from the rabbitmq-erlang-client sources, which I'll admit is confusing at first. Anyway, by the looks of things you're probably doing one of two things wrong, either

1. you've forgotten to run make checkout (or it hasn't run properly) or...
2. you're building from the wrong directory or....
3. some other strange thing is happening that I can't replicate at the moment

From the /c/Users/..... path in the output, it looks like you're using Cygwin now, which is great. I do keep a windows environment around for testing, but it's not configured for building and from speaking to a colleague who *has* tried building on Windows, there are going to be numerous other gotchas down the line. We are 'all hands on deck' at the moment so I cannot promise when (or even if) I will have time to install Cygwin (etc) in a Windows environment and figure out what steps are causing you these issues.

If I were in your shoes, I would make my life a lot easier (and progress a lot faster) and install linux on a virtual machine and use that instead. You will have a *lot* less headaches doing that and the installation of Erlang and everything else is *very* well documented on the internet.

Cheers,
Tim