[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ crash: where do i check for errors?

Fernando Morgenstern fernandomorgenstern.fm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 21:26:40 BST 2012

Hi,

2012/6/19 Emile Joubert <emile at rabbitmq.com>

> Hi,
>
> On 19/06/12 15:39, Fernando Morgenstern wrote:
> > Slogan: eheap_alloc: Cannot allocate 1571344 bytes of memory (of type
> > "heap").
>
> The Erlang VM crashed because the OS could not allocate 1571344 bytes of
> memory, and it doesn't look like the Erlang VM was using much memory
> when it crashed. Do you have any other services running on the same
> server? That is not recommended.

Yes, we have other services like mysql and apache. But RabbitMQ usage is
very low. We have less than 1.000 messages/day.

> > Is there an internal limit for erlang processes? Because this machine
> > has a lot of memory ( 96GB ) and now, under heavy usage, there is still
> > 60GB free.
>
> No, there is no limit. RabbitMQ expects to be able to use all the RAM in
> the server. You can control how soon memory-conserving strategies are
> applied with the memory high watermark setting. See
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/memory.html#memsup

I think that is very unlikely for our server to run out of memory,
specially because we usually have a lot of free memory and swap usage is 0.
In any case, i installed munin in order to have some data about resource
usage if this issue happens again.

Thanks for the help. I will get back here in case this problem happens
again.